Christ Church Hawthorn seeks to appoint a Children’s Minister
Children’s Minister, or Trainee Children’s Minister (half-time, possibly growing later to up to full-time), to be appointed in the second half of 2019.
Christ Church is a small but lively and growing church, committed to gospel ministry and outreach, on the western (Richmond) side of Hawthorn, Victoria.
In the light of recent growth, and as part of an overall vision of outreach, we see children’s ministries as a central priority for the future of this church.
We are keen about this because:
• our church community already has a high proportion of young families, with new babies being born month by month;
• our church property is located right next door to Hawthorn West Primary School (HWPS);
• there are many young families in the local area;
• we already run programs for local families with children from birth to school age (but currently lack outreach activities to local children once they start school);
• we have very suitable facilities for such ministries, with two good halls and a very beautiful central courtyard.
We are looking for an engaging, responsible and talented Christian to join the Christ Church Hawthorn ministry team.
One key role for this new Children’s Minister is to develop and lead ‘Shine’, our recently-initiated After School Kids’ Club for primary school children. This will involve planning the program and arrangements, coordinating and leading a couple of volunteers, and the hands-on ministry of running the program with the children.
We are looking for a person who is passionate about children and helping them discover and grow in Christian faith through play, music, craft and team activities, and who values the family home as the primary guiding environment for children.
An individual who is a self-starter with their own ideas and with experience in gathering resources would be a great fit within our team, working with and reporting to the Senior Minister, Andrew Dircks.
By negotiation, and depending on some other factors yet to be resolved, the position could become more than half-time. We expect the appointment to be formalised either as an MTS Ministry Apprenticeship, or as an ASLM (Authorised Stipendiary Lay Minister) within the Anglican Diocese of Melbourne. The Children’s Minister might also pursue some part-time theological study.
1. Leading the Kids’ Church ministry team within the context of our Sunday morning congregations, affirming the primary role of parents in the Christian upbringing of their children. There are currently three volunteers serving a programme for children aged from 2 to 11.
2. Lead and develop ‘Shine’, our recently-initiated After School Kids’ Club each Thursday afternoon during school term dates. This is held in the Wood Hall and courtyard, and includes afternoon tea, craft, games, Bible lessons, singing and prayer. The role includes leading a couple of other ‘Shine’ team members: the Senior Minister and church volunteers. Plan and ensure responsible care and supervision of the children, including collecting children directly from HWPS at 3:30pm.
3. Probably also lead our Wednesday morning Playgroup: co-ordinate and lead, with existing volunteers and as appropriate seeking new volunteers.
4. Possibly support one of our weekly Mainly Music programs.
5. Share with the Senior Minister and current volunteers in Teens’ ministry in developing appropriate ministries for young people transitioning from Primary to Secondary school.
6. Fulfil responsibilities as a church ministry appointee, including being aware of, promoting and adhering to appropriate child safety and welfare regulations and standards.
To take it further, please contact the Senior Minister, Andrew Dircks. Use the enquiry form here, or phone 03 9818 6077.