Christ Church Hawthorn - 'Life together in Christ'
We are a growing Christian community including families, children, young adults, singles, couples, seniors. We see Jesus as the centre of our thoughtful Christian faith, the Bible our textbook, and we work together to express God's love to one another and in our care of others. We (actually do) warmly welcome visitors and newcomers. We're praying that God may add to our number those whom he is saving, and we're excited about plans for growing the church community over the next few years.
Christ Church Hawthorn is evangelical, which means we take seriously the Bible and the gospel of Christ. It is a parish of the Anglican Diocese of Melbourne. Founded in 1853, it is the oldest Christian church in Melbourne on the southern/eastern side of the Yarra River.
Your local international church
Located at the city / river / western end of Hawthorn, immediately beside Hawthorn West Primary School, we serve our local community in Hawthorn, Richmond and surrounding areas. Our congregations include members from many countries and language backgrounds. Melbourne Thai Church is an activity of Christ Church, and meets on the second Sunday of each month at 1 pm. A Chinese church (Mandarin language) meets in our Wood Hall (6 Wood Street Hawthorn) on Sunday afternoons. We value our overseas mission partnerships, including specific connections in Tanzania, Namibia, D R Congo, Cambodia and Thailand.
Our Sunday gatherings
We meet on Sundays to build one another up to maturity in Christ. We sing God's praises, most of all for his grace to us in Christ. We bring our concerns - including for the world - to God in prayer, knowing His love for the world. We hear and reflect on God's Word, and pray together for his Holy Spirit to transform our lives by that powerful Word. As members of a Christian community together, we get to know one another, seek to care for one another, seek to encourage and stir up one another to godly living.
• Our usual pattern, most Sundays, is that we meet at 8:30am (traditional Holy Communion, in the historic bluestone church) and at 10:00am (contemporary, in the Memorial Hall). Both of these gatherings are in English language, and are followed by morning tea. But there are some Sundays when we have just one service …
• However, on the first Sunday of the month, February to December, we have a Combined Service at 10am in the old church, followed by lunch together. (Note there is no 8:30am service on these Sundays).
• And on the second Sunday of the month, the growing Thai congregation meets through the afternoon in the Memorial Hall - starting with lunch at 1pm. Everyone is welcome to this. As well as lots of Thai language, quite a lot of English language is spoken.
• And during mid-summer, we have just one service each Sunday, at 9am, in the bluestone church: this is for the last Sunday in December and also the Sundays in early January.
• Maundy Thursday 18th April 2019, 7:30pm: There will be a quiet reflective service in the bluestone church with communion, remembering Jesus' final Passover meal and his prayer in Gethsemane.
• Good Friday 19th April 2019, 9am: There will be a reflective service in the bluestone church with communion where we remember Jesus’ crucifixion and death at Calvary.
• Easter Sunday 21st April 2019, 8:30am: We will meet at 8:30am (in the bluestone church) and 10am (in the Memorial Hall) to celebrate the resurrection of Jesus. There will also be a special Easter kids' program at 10am.
‘Community Groups’ - our small groups
We have a number of weekly small groups, known as "Community Groups", and most of our church members actively share in one of these. By getting to know and care for one another, and by Bible study and prayer together, we help one another grow, living as Christ's people in the world. Currently groups meet on Tuesday daytime and on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings.
Weekday mornings, for young families
On weekday mornings during school term dates we conduct programmes for young children and their parents/carers. "Mainly Music" runs on Monday and Thursday mornings, and our "Rostered Playgroup" runs on Wednesday mornings. More details for Mainly Music here, and for Playgroup here.
‘Shine’ - after school club for kids
‘Shine’ is a club for primary school aged kids, meeting on Thursday afternoons within school term dates. See more details on the ‘Shine’ page.