• Sunday 23rd December: usual services at 8:30am and 10am.
• Christmas Eve, Monday 24th December: Carols by candlelight, young-family-friendly, 7pm in the bluestone church
• Christmas Day, Tuesday 25th December: Christmas morning church at 9am in the bluestone church.
After Christmas: for the following three Sundays (30th December, and 6th and 13th January), just one service at 9am each Sunday. Then from Sunday 20th January we resume regular services (see further below).
Christ Church Hawthorn - 'Life together in Christ'
We are a growing Christian community including families, children, young adults, singles, couples, seniors. We see Jesus as the centre of our thoughtful Christian faith, the Bible our textbook, and we work together to express God's love to one another and in our care of others. We (actually do) warmly welcome visitors and newcomers. We're praying that God may add to our number those whom he is saving, and we're excited about plans for growing the church community over the next few years.
Christ Church Hawthorn is evangelical, which means we take seriously the Bible and the gospel of Christ. It is a parish of the Anglican Diocese of Melbourne. Founded in 1853, it is the oldest Christian church in Melbourne on the southern/eastern side of the Yarra River.
Your local international church
Located at the city / river / western end of Hawthorn, immediately beside Hawthorn West Primary School, we serve our local community in Hawthorn, Richmond and surrounding areas. Our congregations include members from many countries and language backgrounds. Melbourne Thai Church is an activity of Christ Church, and meets on the second Sunday of each month at 1 pm. A Chinese church (Mandarin language) meets in our Wood Hall (6 Wood Street Hawthorn) on Sunday afternoons. We value our overseas mission partnerships, including specific connections in Tanzania, Namibia, D R Congo, Cambodia and Thailand.
Our Sunday gatherings
We meet on Sundays to build one another up to maturity in Christ. We sing God's praises, most of all for his grace to us in Christ. We bring our concerns - including for the world - to God in prayer, knowing His love for the world. We hear and reflect on God's Word, and pray together for his Holy Spirit to transform our lives by that powerful Word. As members of a Christian community together, we get to know one another, seek to care for one another, seek to encourage and stir up one another to godly living.
• Our usual pattern, most Sundays, is that we meet at 8:30am (traditional Holy Communion, in the historic bluestone church) and at 10:00am (contemporary, in the Memorial Hall). Both of these gatherings are in English language, and are followed by morning tea. But there are some Sundays when we have just one service …
• However, on the first Sunday of the month, February to December, we have a Combined Service at 10am in the old church, followed by lunch together. (Note there is no 8:30am service on these Sundays).
• And please note that, during mid-summer, we have just one service each Sunday, at 9am, in the bluestone church: this is for Sundays 30th December 2018, and 6th and 13th January 2019.
• And on the second Sunday of the month, the growing Thai congregation meets through the afternoon in the Memorial Hall - starting with lunch at 1pm. Everyone is welcome to this. As well as lots of Thai language, quite a lot of English language is spoken.
"Community Groups" - our small groups
We have a number of weekly small groups, known as "Community Groups", and most of our church members actively share in one of these. By getting to know and care for one another, and by Bible study and prayer together, we help one another grow, living as Christ's people in the world. Currently groups meet on Tuesday daytime and on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings.
Weekday mornings, for young families
On weekday mornings we conduct programmes for young children and their parents/carers. "Mainly Music" runs on Monday and Thursday mornings, and our "Rostered Playgroup" runs on Wednesday mornings. See details under the "FAMILIES" tab above.
‘Shine’ - after school club for kids
Starting with a pilot programme in December 2018, ‘Shine’ is a club for kids, meeting on Thursday afternoons. See more details on the ‘Shine’ page.